[rt-users] Re: RT mess

Jason B. Alonso jalonso at mit.edu
Sun Mar 7 11:14:28 EST 2004

You needn't go through THAT much trouble (nor do I recommend it).

Breaking the rules in this case is less likely to cause problems than trying to do a partial-reinstall, imho.  But BACKUP your data in case you make a typo in my upcoming instructions...

That said, shut down your web server (!) and use your favorite SQL client to run these queries:

SQL> select u.id, u.name from users as u where u.name='username-goes-here'

You should get a userid number from this query.  Substitute it for [USERID] in the following queries.

SQL> select g.id, g.type from groups as g where g.domain='SystemInternal'

You should get three groups: "Everyone", "Privileged", and "Unprivileged".  Note the id numbers for the last two as [PRIV] and [UNPRIV] respectively.

SQL> delete from groupmembers where groupid=[UNPRIV] and memberid=[USERID]

You just took yourself off of the nobody-list.

SQL> insert into groupmembers (groupid,memberid) values ([PRIV],[USERID])

Voila!  You're back on the somebody-list.  You may now restart your web server (did you remember to shut it down?) and return to your regularly-scheduled programming.

FOR EXAMPLE, if I were in your shoes, I'd do/get the following:
> select u.id, u.name from users as u where u.name='root'
id  name
12  root

> select g.id, g.type from groups as g where g.domain='SystemInternal'
id  type
3   Everyone
4   Privileged
5   Unprivileged

> delete from groupmembers where groupid=5 and memberid=12
1 row(s) deleted

> insert into groupmembers (groupid,memberid) values (4,12)
1 row(s) inserted

Backup, backup, BACKUP your data before you try this at home!  One misplaced enter-key can do a lot more damage than you have right now.

FYI, I'm running 3.0.9 on PostgreSQL.

Hoping this helps,
Jason

p.s. Don't forget to backup your data!  (I think I've said it 5 times, so don't blame me if you don't).