[rt-users] Big performance gain from using FQDN??

Adolfo Santiago mailbag at anothernet.com
Mon Mar 15 21:00:02 EST 2004

I could test from a UNIX box, but I don't have any kind of performance
baseline (even a subjective one) from that platform to compare to.  For the
last several weeks, we've been using RT strictly from Windows 2000 clients.

I guess it is possible that the performance gain is related to the number of
DNS lookups.  However, I don't know if it would be at the client side.
Everytime we sent a request to RT, we would see the httpd daemon come up
(using the top command) and stay up there the entire time the PC was waiting
to the response.  It's definitely something in Apache and/or one of the Perl
modules.  The daemon would stay running way after the MySQL daemon would
finish doing its job.

Chago