[rt-users] Mail setup and template localization

Helmut Lichtenberg heli at tzv.fal.de
Fri Mar 19 02:49:17 EST 2004

On Wed, Mar 17, 2004 at 03:46:36PM +0300, Ruslan U. Zakirov wrote:
> >after fiddeling around some days as an rt-newbie I would now ask for
> >some help to increase my learning curve.
> >
> >I (currently) have mainly two questions:
> >
> >1. mail setup
> >   According to the docs (Draft, April 13, 2003; perldoc rt-mailgate):
> >   "Note that you don't have to run your RT server on your mail server,
> >   as the mail gateway will happily relay to a different machine."
> >
> >   If I install rt on server A and the mail gateway for our LAN is
> >   server B, does this mean that I also have to install the program
> >   rt-mailgate (and the needed perl modules to make it happy) on
> >   mailserver B? Does it work standalone without the rt installation on
> >   B?
> You have to move rt-mailgate script to server B. Server B must have perl
> with Getopt::Long and LWP::UserAgent modules.
> Also server B should have ability of connect to Server A via HTTP.

Thanks, this brought me some steps forward. But now another problem
occurs. When I send mail to some of the aliases on the mail server, I
get the following error in the logs:

Mar 19 08:22:11 dcs postfix/local[15079]: DD93523426D: to=<service at tzv.local>,
   relay=local, delay=3, status=deferred (temporary failure. Command output:
   Connecting to http://service.tzv.local//REST/1.0/NoAuth/mail-gateway at
   /usr/local/sbin/rt-mailgate line 444, <> chunk 1.
   An Error Occurred =================  401 Authorization Required
   This is /usr/local/sbin/rt-mailgate exiting because of an undefined server
   error at /usr/local/sbin/rt-mailgate line 492, <> chunk 1. )

And on the rt server side I get a log entry:
10.1.0.1 - - [19/Mar/2004:08:22:11 +0100] "POST //REST/1.0/NoAuth/mail-gateway HTTP/1.1" 401 483 "-" "libwww-perl/5.64"

I found a thread about exactly this problem on rt-users (May 2003). It
ended with this hint from Jesse:

>On Fri, May 09, 2003 at 09:37:51AM -0500, Christian Gilmore wrote:
>> On the second suggestion, allowing the gateway to pass
>> unauthenticated, how does that fit with the documentation in the
>> rt-mailgate POD? I am confused where/why/how the mailgate should
>> authenticate to the web interface? It is a new concept for RT3, and
>> I'm just not quite getting it yet.
>
> It doesn't and shouldn't. there's code in the mail gateway client to
> support it. but it's not needed. What is needed is to have whatever http
> auth system you use pass through requests for the NoAuth path the
> mailgate client calls. Just tell apache not to require auth for that
> path.

Can somebody tell me, how this should look like (in httpd.conf I guess)?
We also use external authentication via LDAP.

TIA
Helmut