[rt-users] newbie question

Brian Place bdp at bdpnetworks.com
Fri Mar 19 12:07:48 EST 2004

Hi everyone - I just started using RT this week and am in awe of it...
we have a small consulting shop and I think it's going to completely
change how we do business.

In any case, I have a really dumb question that probably gets asked all
of the time... but I didn't see anything in the FAQ about it:  is
FastCGI or mod_perl faster?  This is a new SuSE Standard Server v8 w/
Apache 1.3.26.  I am not an expert in CGI or Perl, but it was my
understanding that mod_perl was some sort of complete Perl interpreter
plugged directly into Apache, and FastCGI would have to spawn an
external Perl process.. so mod_perl would be faster.

The system is pretty comprehensive, but it is SLOW even on a dual-proc
PII-450MHz motherboard (Intel) w/ 1GB of RAM - and I suspect that's
just the way it is... so I'll probably go get something faster soon.
(Really, it takes around 6 seconds to display  "show all new and open
tickets" when there are only 20 or so tickets in the list)

I'm just a user... Please be kind.  Thanks! ;)

(also - is there a way to get the digest version of this list to just
send me one message per day?  anyone?)