[rt-users] RT 3.0.9, Apache2, and FastCGI problem...

Steve Wampler sbw at tapestry.tucson.az.us
Wed Mar 24 18:01:32 EST 2004

I've got a problem with fastcgi that has shown up from time-to-time
in the mailing lists.  Unfortunately, I can't find any responses
to the those postings!

Background:  I'm trying to get RT 3.0.9 running under RedHat 9 with
Apache2.  I've given up on mod_perl2 - while I got close (I think),
I was stumped when URLs ending in directories wouldn't pick up
the "index.html" file automatically; e.g.

   https://MY_RT_MACHINE/rt

couldn't find a page to display, but

   https://MY_RT_MACHINE/rt/index.html

worked fine (until it tries to follow any similar link).  Since
this worked with RT 3.0.7 and RH 9 on another machine, but not
this one, it confused me enough to give fastcgi a try...
[As an aside, I actually tried to fix the problem with mod_perl2
by hard coding (/opt/rt3/local is a dangerous thing...) index.html
onto all the URL's that referenced directories - this allowed
me to nagivate through the screens, but I kept encountering
other bizarre errors that seemed unrelated, but must somehow
be related]

Now, when I start httpd, the httpd error_log file starts filling
with the following message (repeated one per second, forever):
[Wed Mar 24 15:37:40 2004] [crit] (13)Permission denied: FastCGI: can't \
    create server "/opt/rt3/bin/mason_handler.fcgi": bind() failed      \
    [/etc/httpd/logs/fastcgi/362fab4db3d651b6d082c0358ebb4d83]

Attempts to access rt just give the infamous 'internal server
error' response.

Others have seen this, but if they've solved it, they haven't
posted a solution that I can find (nor has anyone else posted
a possible solution).

As near as I can tell, the file permissions are fine, and
running /opt/rt3/bin/mason_handler.fcgi as user apache by
hand works just fine.

Any ideas?  (and an explanation why it seems to be trying
to *create* /opt/rt3/bin/mason_handler.fcgi, when it already
exists?)

Thanks!
Steve
--
Steve Wampler     {sbw at tapestry.tucson.az.us}
The gods that smiled upon your birth are laughing now. -- fortune cookie