[rt-users] RT 3.0.9, Apache2, and FastCGI problem...

Michael S. Liebman m-liebman at northwestern.edu
Wed Mar 24 22:27:50 EST 2004

At 06:01 PM 3/24/2004, Steve Wampler wrote:

>Now, when I start httpd, the httpd error_log file starts filling
>with the following message (repeated one per second, forever):
>[Wed Mar 24 15:37:40 2004] [crit] (13)Permission denied: FastCGI: can't \
>     create server "/opt/rt3/bin/mason_handler.fcgi": bind() failed      \
>     [/etc/httpd/logs/fastcgi/362fab4db3d651b6d082c0358ebb4d83]
[snip happens]

>As near as I can tell, the file permissions are fine, and
>running /opt/rt3/bin/mason_handler.fcgi as user apache by
>hand works just fine.

It's not the RT files that it can't access, it is the FastCgiIpcDir
directory. It is trying to create temporary files. Make sure you set this
directive. I don't have access to my RT installation at the moment and I
forget if the user running Apache and/or the RT group need permissions to
the directory. Be very restrictive with the permissions you set on this
directory. There are serious security implications for the files stored in
there. Do not set the mode to 777 as has been previously suggested.

If you can't work out the permissions, ping me tomorrow and I will check.

Michael

Michael S. Liebman                      m-liebman at northwestern.edu
                 http://msl521.freeshell.org/
"I have vision and the rest of the world wears bifocals."
        -Paul Newman in "Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid"