[rt-users] Allowing a 'group' of customers to see certain ticketsin a queue

Alan Barrett apb at cequrux.com
Sat Mar 27 06:28:50 EST 2004

On Fri, 26 Mar 2004, Oliver Marx wrote:
> >> User_A is user_a at company1.com
> >> User_B is user_b at company1.com
> >> User_C is c_user at another_company.com
> >>
> >> User_A sends in a ticket - #1
> >> User_C sends in a ticket - #2
> >> User_B sends in a ticket - #3
> >>
> >> Both User_A and User_B should be able to see ticket
> >> #1 and ticket #3 but  _not_ ticket #2.
> >>
> >> User_C should be able to see ticket #2, but not
> >> tickets #1 and #3.

I also have this desire.  And I do not want to use a separate queue
per customer.  At present, I use the work-around described at
<URL:http://marc.free.net.ph/message/20031007.091742.fa8f2674.html>, but
it doesn't work very well, requires an extra RT user with a password
that is shared between multiple users at the same customer site, and
requires tedious editing of scrips every time a new such group is added.

> It would be nice if it some how would be possible to grant a
> group_view_right and connect tickets to a group.

Yes, and it would be nice if it didn't need scrips.

Imagine that it was possible to grant rights to "Users in same group as
Requestor" and "Users in same group as CC", in much the same way as one
currently grants rights to "Requestor" and "CC".  To prevent the "Everyone"
group from being considered for such rights, each group could have a flag
saying whether or not such rights would apply to this group.

Then you'd do this:

  1. Create a group for "customer-1", and set the "allow rights for
     users in same group" flag on this group.
  2. Add "user-a at customer-1" and "user-b at customer-1" to the "customer-1"
     group.
  3. Grant rights like See Queue, View Ticket, Update Ticket, to
     "Requestor" as usual.  Also grant those rights (or perhaps only
     the view rights, not the update rights) to "Users in same group as
     Requestor".

For efficiency, the implementation would probably have to keep a cache
of all user-pairs that have the in-same-group property.

--apb (Alan Barrett)