[rt-users] Performance and responsetime in RT 3.0.10

Palle Girgensohn girgen at pingpong.net
Sun May 2 07:26:27 EDT 2004

Hi,

We have terrible response times, at least 6-7 seconds, often more,
sometimes enough to make fastcgi give up (max time set to 30 s).

Please note that this is *not* mainly a problem with the database, it is
more or less *only* perl that uses the CPU. My guess is you will get the
same results if you check using e.g. top. I just checked logging in to our
RT, and the after hitting the login button with my credentials typed in, it
took approx 25 seconds to load the "Home" page. Hitting "Home" again loads
the page in about 6-7 seconds, since things are cached in the session, I
guess... Anyway, checking the database log, of the 25 seconds spent only
3.5 s where spent running database queries. Top shows about 15% load on
postgresql and 100% load on perl (2 CPUs, remember). Nothing else loads the
machine.

We don't have a very fancy machine, which might explain the slowness to a
certain degree. Two 450 MHz P3s.

One thing about the postgresql queries is bad, there's a mail thread about
this a while back, but I believe it is postgresql specific - the
SearchBuilder uses lower() on IDs, so indices are not used. Still only
10-15 % of the time is spent in the database, so there is something else,
something in the perl code.

I've had this discussion a few times before on the list, but I'm not sure
there is any way to fix this? Perhaps it is just the design of RT?
Hopefully throwing faster hardware at RT will help, but it is a pity.

I have FreeBSD 4.9, Postgresql-7.4.2, Perl 5.8.3, RT 3.0.10

/Palle

--On fredag, april 30, 2004 14.13.32 +0200 Hilde Therese Lauvset