[rt-users] Problem with external authentication

Marco Marongiu bronto at tiscali.com
Mon May 3 04:59:17 EDT 2004

Hello

It's a couple of days that I google-digging the web, looking for a
problem I am having, but every time I hit someone that solved the same
problem I see that the setup they have is the same as mine, so here I am.

I am trying to set up RT 3.0.9 on a GNU/Linux Debian "testing". We
already have an LDAP authentication against an Active Directory for the
whole site, and I'd like RT to use it, so I set it up for external
authentication:

In /etc/request-tracker3/RT_SiteConfig.pm I set:

# If $WebExternalAuth is defined, RT will defer to the environment's
# REMOTE_USER variable.

Set($WebExternalAuth , 1);
Set($WebExternalOnly , 1);

# If $WebFallbackToInternalAuth is undefined, the user is allowed a chance
# of fallback to the login screen, even if REMOTE_USER failed.

Set($WebFallbackToInternalAuth , undef);

# $WebExternalAuto will create users under the same name as REMOTE_USER
# upon login, if it's missing in the Users table.

Set($WebExternalAuto , 1);

Besides, I slightly modified Elements/Login on line 44 to show me the
REMOTE_USER value, and it shows up correctly:

<& /Elements/TitleBoxStart, width=> "40%", titleright => loc("RT [_1]",
$RT::VERSION), title => loc("Login [$ENV{REMOTE_USER}]") ,

Nevertheless, I always get the login window instead of being "logged in"
directly. I tried with an already-defined user and with a non-defined
one... I read the autohandler trying to make sense of it, without
founding the cause of the problem. Surely I am doing something stupid
but I can't see what...

Any help?

Ciao and thanks
--bronto