[rt-users] rt-3.0.11rc and Oracle

Rainer Duffner rainer at ultra-secure.de
Fri May 7 15:36:41 EDT 2004

Alexey G Misurenko wrote:

>Hello!
>
>I try to install RT3 at FreeBSD 4.8-RELEASE.
>
>perl 5.8.4
>OCI7 ( from ports )
>
>Oracle Database is installed at other server (in my case
>Linux server)
>
>configure, make install running without any errors but
>next step fail with next diagnostic
>
>rt3# make initialize-database
>/usr/bin/perl //usr/local/rt/sbin/rt-setup-database --action init --dba rt --prompt-for-dba-password
>In order to create a new database and grant RT access to that database,
>this script needs to connect to your Oracle instance on develop as rt.
>Please specify that user's database password below. If the user has no database
>password, just press return.
>
>Password: ***
>Now creating a database for RT.
>...skipped as rt is not rt or we're working with Oracle.
>Now populating database schema.
>Creating database schema.
>schema sucessfully inserted
>Now inserting database ACLs
>Now inserting RT core system objects
>Checking for existing system user (RT::CurrentUser=HASH(0x8d29914))...not found.  This appears to be a new installation.
>Creating system user...Could not create user
>*** Error code 1
>
>Stop in /usr/local/src/rt3/rt-3.0.11rc1.
>

>Any ideas what going wrong?

Are you sure that you can actually get a connection from FreeBSD with
the oracle7-client to the linux-server ?

While I understand that one might want to use FreeBSD for RT, doing so
in this configuration seems a bit adventurous.

http://www.setuid.de/oracle.html

I use FreeBSD whenever I can, but I know the limits ;-)

Rainer