[rt-users] mail server on different machine

Peter Jamriško peter.jamrisko at advantel.cz
Thu May 13 10:35:38 EDT 2004

Hi,

I need help with installation of RT. Can someone explain me main idea
(or detailed step-by-step how-to) of installing RT on a different
machine than mail server is? I am using qmail on 192.168.1.1 and
planning to install RT+MySQL+Apache on second computer 192.168.1.2. I
don't understand how to setup RT and Qmail to work together. Shall I
install something more (procmail, ...) or is qmail and RT enough?

This is part of rt-mailgate help:

"Note that you don't have to run your RT server on your mail server, as
the mail gateway will happily relay to a different machine."

and this too:

//
Next, you need to route mail to "rt-mailgate" for the queues you're
monitoring. For instance, if you're using /etc/aliases and you have a
"bugs" queue, you will want something like this:

           bugs:         "|/opt/rt3/bin/rt-mailgate --queue bugs
--action correspond
                     --url http://rt.mycorp.com/"
//

So, when I have Qmail on machine1 and install RT on machine2, how can I
put "/opt/rt3/bin/rt-mailgate" in qmail alias on machine1. There is no
such file on the machine1. Or does "run" mean something else then install?

May be I missed something important...

Thanks for any help.

Peter.