[rt-users] Problems with debian

Stephen Quinney stephen at jadevine.org.uk
Mon May 24 02:45:05 EDT 2004

On Mon, May 24, 2004 at 12:03:54PM +1200, Jamie Baddeley wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've just had 2 debian systems running unstable barf on me.
>
> crm-dev:~# /etc/init.d/apache start
> Configuration syntax error detected. Not reloading.
>
> Syntax error on line 10 of /etc/request-tracker3/apache-modperl.conf:
> Can't load module DBI, dynamic loading not available in this perl.

Hi there,

The problem is that the apache mod_perl module needs recompiling. The
2nd version of the perl 5.8.4 package introduced an incompatibility
between it and mod_perl. Sadly the mod_perl maintainer is being
extremely slow at fixing this problem, see bug #248730 which is 11
days old now:

I don't like pointing out the obvious but this is why there is testing
and unstable, although really annoying (this bug caught me as well)
this sort of thing has to be expected on Debian unstable. A
willingness to rebuild packages occasionally and deal with nasty bugs
is really a requirement. I certainly would never run anything
mission-critical on a Debian unstable machine. The versions in testing
do not have these problems and as such it is a much safer bet.

Stephen Quinney