[rt-users] RT 3 and Debian :-)

Bastiaan Spandaw rt-users at becobaf.com
Fri May 28 18:43:34 EDT 2004

On Fri, 2004-05-28 at 19:57, emf wrote:
> On May 28, 2004, at 02:33, Marc Haber wrote:
>
> > Installing request-tracker3 from testing on a stable system pulls in
> > perl from testing which in turn pulls in libc6 from testing. So you
> > currently have a system that combines the disadvantages of Debian
> > stable (being grossly outdated being one of them) and Debian testing
> > (where "no security updates - packages with security updates might
not
> > be updated for months if their dependencies are not satisfied" is
one
> > of the most prominent ones).
>
> So we should just not run request-tracker3 at all on a debian system?
>
> Me, I tend to stay testing/unstable, but I have a less strict
> definition of "production" than many.

We currently use rt2, but because we want to upgrade to rt3
I also chose for the option of using sarge+rt3 in a production
environment.
We currently have >60.000 tickets in rt, it is of major importance for
us.

With (just about) any distribution installing/upgrading rt is a major
pain in the ...

Its (rt 3.0.11) bleeding edge dependencies aren't even in gentoo's
portage.

As a rule of thumb I only want to use software supported by the
distributions packages management.

So.. that leaves a question..

Is it rt's problem it always needs bleeding edge dependencies? or is it
the distributions we have to blame for (not) updating its packages? or
is it a larger problem of OSS and its _very_ modular pillars?

<off topic>
debian stable is NOT

Re: [rt-users] RT 3 and Debian :-)
 a viable option in a _LOT_ of production
environments.
</off topic>

Regards,

Bastiaan