[rt-users] RT 3 and Debian :-)

Marc Haber mh+rt-users at zugschlus.de
Mon May 31 15:45:03 EDT 2004

On Fri, May 28, 2004 at 01:57:15PM -0400, emf wrote:
> On May 28, 2004, at 02:33, Marc Haber wrote:
> >Installing request-tracker3 from testing on a stable system pulls in
> >perl from testing which in turn pulls in libc6 from testing. So you
> >currently have a system that combines the disadvantages of Debian
> >stable (being grossly outdated being one of them) and Debian testing
> >(where "no security updates - packages with security updates might not
> >be updated for months if their dependencies are not satisfied" is one
> >of the most prominent ones).
>
> So we should just not run request-tracker3 at all on a debian system?
>
> Me, I tend to stay testing/unstable, but I have a less strict
> definition of "production" than many.

The problem with testing/unstable is that you don't get any security
updates from the Debian security team. Additionally, testing might
have to wait for security updates for _weeks_ of time since packages
do migrate from unstable to testing only if all dependencies are
satisfied.

I'd go for stable with backports of selected packages, but backporting
perl might be a bitch to backport. If security is not your premium
concern, I'd go for unstable with frequent updates, but _straight_
unstable and no funny mixtures.

Be aware that if unstable breaks (security, and run-wise), you get to
keep the pieces and will have to live with downtime while you fix the
system. If you know Debian well, that's ok, but if you're a Debian
newbie, it might leave you with big big problems.

Greetings
Marc