[rt-users] Alternative Ticket Creation

Ken O'Driscoll rt-lists at ieinternet.com
Mon Nov 1 09:23:37 EST 2004

On Mon, 2004-11-01 at 13:39, Roland, Ryan M wrote:
> That's exactly what we were considering at first.  However, since we are
> not in charge of the university wide email system there are basically
> two concerns we have with that setup.  Firstly, is latency.  If someone
> submits a request form, it may be minutes (or in bad times, hours)
> before that request email gets through to the RT box.  Secondly is error
> checking.
[ ...snip... ]

> Any thoughts?

Ryan,

There is a command line tool which you can use to create a ticket.  We
looked at it but preferred the email solution.

Basically, you use a web form to submit to a CGI script, which would
output a file in say the following format:

 id: ticket/new
 Queue: mytestqueue
 Requestor: somebody at somewhere.com
 Subject: This is the ticket subject line
 Text: This is the body of the ticket

Then use a command line this to create the ticket.

rt create -t ticket -i < ticket.txt

I don't know what the error codes are but if it works, it will output
the new ticket number which you can then push back to the user.

To use the CLI, you also need to export the following variables: RTUSER,
RTPASSWD and RTSERVER  The first two are just an authorised RT user, the
last is the URL for your installation.

I personally think that this is a really messy way to do things but it
could well fit your environment.

You could also look at the Perl API, which is a lot nicer.  I'm sure the
wiki has lots of nice examples.

-  Ken.

--
This email has passed through an IE Internet MailWall gateway
and has been screened for known viruses, potential viruses and

IE Internet.com MailWall (http://ieinternet.com/mailwall/)