[rt-users] Re: anyone able to get RT installed on a RH machine?

John Bartelt bartelt at slac.stanford.edu
Wed Nov 10 13:58:44 EST 2004

From: Phil Howard <phil-rt-users at ipal.net>
> | I've never had a problem installing perl on RH. (I don't use RPMs for
> | this.) I installed the basic perl in a custom location (/opt/perl) and
> | then used CPAN to add the modules.
> | I've installed hundreds of perl modules this way.
>
> So you didn't install Perl from the RH distribution, and instead,
> installed
> it just from source?  My concern is a certain few modules that won't
> install.
> Are you saying they could be incompatible with my Perl 5.8.5?

No, I'm not saying anything about incompatibility.

Someone asked about perl for RT on RH, so I explained how I do it.

Yes, I install from source (the RPM perl installation is still there,
too).
[I maintain perl for solaris and linux (and used to do AIX) on
central fileservers for an installation of ~4000 unix machines.
There are many requests for specialized perl modules.  So I am used
to maintaining perl and its modules via CPAN; it's much easier to do
it in one central location.]

For RT, I installed from source to local disk, and used CPAN for the
extra modules (local disk to avoid dependency on the fileservers).
I've had no problems installing them.

If there are additional modules needed to satisfy the dependencies
of the module you are trying to install, CPAN can grab those and
install them, too.

From: James McDonald <james at jamesmcdonald.id.au>

>The problem with the RH installation (I'm refering to FC1) is that when
>you upgrade to a new compiler then try and compile new perl modules the
>SSL modules in particular. The build will fail because the compiler
>versions are different.

<snip>
>   Another possibility may be to point the
>Perl module build process to the compiler that is the same version as
>the one that compiled your Perl installation by using
CC=/path/to/olg/gcc.

OK, when I say RH I mean RedHat, not Fedora, but that doesn't matter.
(I've used RH9 and RHEL 3.)
You're right:  using different compiler versions will probably
prevent some modules from compiling.  Using the old gcc version,
as you suggest, should work, if that is the issue.

John Bartelt