[rt-users] Syslog.pm Error

Jesse Vincent jesse at bestpractical.com
Fri Oct 1 15:08:28 EDT 2004

On Oct 1, 2004, at 2:54 PM, Asif Iqbal wrote:

> I just installed RT3 on Solaris 9 on SUN V20z and when I try to login
> I get the follwoing error.
>
> Anyone else have seen this error? I thought it is a Syslog.pm bug for
> Solaris.
>
> Thanks for any help
>

> no connection to syslog available at
> /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.5/Log/Dispatch/Syslog.pm line 77

Asif, perhaps it would help you to consult this posting to RT-Users
from last July:

http://marc.free.net.ph/message/20030715.071640.1ace5b74.html

Author: Larry Stone
Date: 2003-07-15 03:16 -400
To: Asif Iqbal
CC: Phil Homewood, rt-users
Subject: Re: [rt-users] dumpfile-to-rt3 gives error
 > > Asif Iqbal wrote:
  > > > unix passed to setlogsock, but path not available at
  > > > /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0/Log/Dispatch/Syslog.pm line
66

  > > You're using Solaris or HP/UX?
  > >
  > > Search the mailing lists, this has been mentioned before.
  > > Basically, unless you want to hack on the Log::Dispatch
  > > and/or Sys::Syslog (from memory) modules, you're probably
  > > better off disabling syslog and logging to file instead.

  Here's what I noted about fixing the Syslog module to overcome the same
  problem on Solaris 8:

   Need to fix lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0/Log/Dispatch/Syslog.pm
   In the _init routine, there are args:
                             socket   => { type => SCALAR,
                                           default => 'unix' },
   ...change the default to 'inet', which is what the POD documentation
says:
                                           default => 'inet' },
   ...then syslog will work.

     -- Larry