[rt-users] "namespace pollution" and $rtname

Steve Traugott stevegt at TerraLuna.Org
Mon Oct 4 20:45:24 EDT 2004

Hi All,

Can anyone provide a real-world example of why domain name needs to be
used for $rtname?  Google's not coming up with much from the list
archives, and I'd rather use something cleaner like "Bug" or "Ticket"
for that string...

RT_Config.pm says "Your domain name is recommended, so as not to pollute
the namespace", but the "namespace" we're talking about here is only the
Subject line of those messages sent or from the RT mail interface.  The
only case for which I can think of issues cropping up at all is if one
RT instance were to send mail directly to another RT instance, or if a
mail user were to forward a message from one RT instance to another
without changing the subject line; something which seems plausible but
remote.  Has any of this ever actually happened in anyone's experience,
with any ticketing system?

Or are there plans afoot anywhere to peer RT instances on purpose via
e-mail, such that namespace issues might later become important even if
they aren't now?

Steve
--
Stephen G. Traugott  (KG6HDQ)
UNIX/Linux Infrastructure Architect, TerraLuna LLC