[rt-users] "namespace pollution" and $rtname

Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH allbery at ece.cmu.edu
Mon Oct 4 21:18:18 EDT 2004

On Mon, 2004-10-04 at 20:45, Steve Traugott wrote:
> RT_Config.pm says "Your domain name is recommended, so as not to pollute
> the namespace", but the "namespace" we're talking about here is only the
> Subject line of those messages sent or from the RT mail interface.  The
> only case for which I can think of issues cropping up at all is if one
> RT instance were to send mail directly to another RT instance, or if a
> mail user were to forward a message from one RT instance to another
> without changing the subject line; something which seems plausible but
> remote.  Has any of this ever actually happened in anyone's experience,
> with any ticketing system?

Yes.  We (CMU ECE Facilities) may forward tickets not about one of our
services to another group on campus which might use RT, or vice versa.
Likewise I saw what looked suspiciously like RT tickets get relayed
between Speakeasy and Covad when they set up my DSL.  Popularity has
problems all its own.  :)

--
brandon s. allbery    [linux,solaris,freebsd,perl]     allbery at kf8nh.com
system administrator      [WAY too many hats]        allbery at ece.cmu.edu
electrical and computer engineering, carnegie mellon univ.         KF8NH