[rt-users] Request Tracker & Nagios [email / tickets / deduplication]

Scott Walters scott at PacketPushers.com
Thu Oct 14 13:43:47 EDT 2004

On Thu, 14 Oct 2004, Rodney Caston wrote:

> Has anyone every tried to integrate RT and Nagios?

Not RT and Nagios but RT and BB.

Lets assume that Nagios and BB provide the same function, monitoring and
notifications based on events in ones environment.

> While it's simple enough to get RT to receive the email, and make a
> ticket for the alert, any additional emails for this alarm will just
> create new tickets rather then update the existing one
>
> Has anyone been able to solve this issue?  Does any documentation exist?

Not to mention if your system sends recoveries, RT doesn't know how to
deal with those.

I came to the conclusion that *automatically* generating tickets in RT
from a *proactive* monitoring system is a bad idea (or at least not worth
the complexity it would involve).  By being proactive you have a certain
amount of false positives you have to deal with.  Part of being proactive.

I prefer a human to determine when an 'event' becomes a 'problem'.
Problems are good to put into RT, not events.

--
Scott Walters
-PacketPusher