[rt-users] Speeding up RT3

Matthew Watson matthew.watson at staff.netspace.net.au
Wed Oct 27 23:06:12 EDT 2004

Hey, Sorry to take so long to get back to you. Busy busy, sure you
understand :)

> > Sorry yes, I wrote out these answers first, but then forgot to send
it
> > :)
> >
> > Almost all the queries appear to be on the acl, eg
> >
> > SELECT * FROM ( SELECT limitquery.*,rownum limitrownum FROM ( SELECT
> > ACL.id from ACL, Groups, Principals, CachedGroupMembers WHERE
> > (ACL.RightName = 'SuperUser' OR  ACL.RightName = 'ShowTicket') AND
> > Principals.Disabled = 0 AND CachedGroupMembers.Disabled = 0  AND
> > Principals.id = Groups.id AND  Principals.id =
> > CachedGroupMembers.GroupId AND CachedGroupMembers.MemberId = '174'
AND (
> > ACL.ObjectType = 'RT::System' OR (ACL.ObjectType = 'RT::Ticket' AND
> > ACL.ObjectId = '1062173') OR (ACL.ObjectType = 'RT::Queue' AND
> > ACL.ObjectId = '7')) AND ( (  ACL.PrincipalId = Principals.id AND
> > ACL.PrincipalType = 'Group' AND (Groups.Domain = 'SystemInternal' OR
> > Groups.Domain = 'UserDefined' OR Groups.Domain = 'ACLEquivalence' OR
> > Groups.Domain = 'Personal')) )  ) limitquery WHERE rownum <= 1 )
WHERE
> > limitrownum >= 1
> >

> > Something I should mention is I've edited the quicksearch Element to
> > have 4 columns, "new","Open","stalled" and "all". Which will effect
the
> > query numbers.
>

> Well, yes. That will roughly double the number of queries we're doing
> there. I do expect that will negatively impact performance.
>
> > Acls are mostly per queue.
>
> Switching to global acls where they make sense will also help
> performance.
>

> > From what I can see though, most of the time is spent doing things
other
> > than waiting on the database,
> >
> > An example from the index.html page (25 queues, non superuser)
> >
> > Time to display: 5.843325
> > Time in Database: 1.678154
>

> And how much time _in_ RT code?

Well, I assume Time to display - Time in database, if you include mason
in the mix. I'm not sure how to go about separating mason specific stuff
from rt specific stuff.

> I expect that you'll have a lot of additional overhead when sending
data
> from the DB.
>
> There's a whole bunch of ACL precaching we could if you folks wanted
> contact me off list about development work.
>
> > Number of Query: 231
> >

> > Where is 3.2-HEAD  (not very used to subversion)
> >
> > -bash-2.05b$ svn co svn://svn.bestpractical.com/rt/branches/3.2-HEAD
> > svn: URL 'svn://svn.bestpractical.com/rt/branches/3.2-HEAD' doesn't
> > exist
>
> /branches/3.2-RELEASE

Cool, tried that out, seems about that same (if I drop the Quicksearch
component back to standard, rather than our local version

> > I can come up with some specifics if its more helpful (eg, just load
> > index.html and then Exit )
>
> More useful is a controlled set of 20 queries of the homepage, spaced
30
> seconds apart.

I will see what I can come up with.

> Jesse
> --

use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. Please notify the sender
immediately by email if you have received this email by mistake and delete this email
from your system. Please note that any views or opinions presented in this email are solely
 those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the organisation.
Finally, the recipient should check this email and any attachments for the presence of
viruses. The organisation accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus
transmitted by this email.