[rt-users] Performance Issues

Jesse Vincent jesse at bestpractical.com
Thu Sep 9 14:50:26 EDT 2004

On Thu, Sep 09, 2004 at 02:26:33PM -0400, Dan Pritts wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 09, 2004 at 01:47:30AM -0400, Jesse Vincent wrote:
> > > I saw the thread with Jon Masters et. al. last month talking about
> > > performance issues with RT 3.
> > >
> > > I've got a brand-new installation of RT 3.2.1 running on Fedora
> > > Core 1, with apache 2 & FastCGI, with a mysql backend.  We have
> > > fewer than 100 tickets in our database.  In general all the tools
> >
> > 	It might help for you to talk about
>
> Sorry for the lack of details - i was hoping there were some fixes that
> had been identified that I had missed in my perusal of the list archives.
>
> > how you've configured mysql
> > to make use of the system's ram,
>
> First, I don't think it's a database problem - see below re
> mason_handler CPU time.
>
> I haven't done anything beyond red hat/fedora's defaults.
>
> mysql is only using about 10 megs of RAM, FWIW.
>
> I am not running innodb.

Ok. That tells us that 1) you're running mysql in the default
configuration, which is optimized for a pentium 133 with 64 megs of RAM.
That's a bad plan. and 2) you missed the note that said that InnoDB is a
hard requirement. You _should_ see massively degraded performance if
you're running without it. And also, database corruption.