[rt-users] Performance Issues

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Thu Sep 9 15:29:21 EDT 2004

On Thu, 2004-09-09 at 14:06, Dan Pritts wrote:

> > That's probably not ideal. Have a look at the sample mysql
> > configurations and choose which one is appropriate for your setup,
> > most likely the large.
>
> Where?  Is this something I should be looking for on the mysql
> site?  I couldn't find it in the RT documentation, the RT source,
> or the RT wiki.

It should have landed somewhere as part of the mysql install. For
fedora it should be in /usr/share/mysql.  There should be some
examples 'my-large.cnf', 'my-huge.cnf', etc. 'locate' should find
them if they are somewhere else on your system.

> I'm surprised I need a "large" configuration for a database that does
> not yet have 100 tickets.

You tune more for the size of your RAM.

> This doesn't explain why the system spends all this CPU time in
> mason_handler.cgi though, and I frankly find it difficult to believe
> that more than 10 megs of ram is needed for reasonable DB performance
> with a DB of less than 100 tickets.

Be sure you have let the system work a while before you start
timing.  Each fastcgi process will need to parse and compile
the perl/mason code once the first time it hits it.  Subsequent
passes should be faster.  You need more than one fcgi but probably
way less than 10.

---
   Les Mikesell
    les at futuresource.com