[rt-users] fetchmail, sendmail, postfix what to use

Susan McConnell susanm at jbpc.co.uk
Sun Sep 12 18:27:22 EDT 2004

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 17:04:02 -0400
"bob" <bob at bobsemporium.com> wrote:

> I just installed RT got it running so far.. i am using Debian (sarge) and
> am having trouble getting the emailing to work..

You don't say what trouble you are having. What are you doing? What
happens? What did you expect to happen? What's in the mail log files?

> which is the best way to configure the mailing piece

The documentation is pretty clear on this.

> and what is the best mail program to use in
> linux for this task...

There are many to choose from: personally, I use Postfix. Which are you
trying to use?

> What I would like to do is use another server for
> the SMTP traffic and another for the pop3 receipt.  that is how our email
> system is currently set up.

Do you mean another server to receive SMTP or to send via? If the later,
you need to set your MTA's "smarthost" to that server. If the former,
please explain exactly how this setup should work. I don't understand your
POP3 comment - POP3 is a protocol for collecting email, and is not really
applicable to RT.