[rt-users] Emailing programs

Susan McConnell susanm at jbpc.co.uk
Mon Sep 13 16:46:28 EDT 2004

On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 15:39:19 -0400
"bob" <bob at bobsemporium.com> wrote:

> We do have smtp servers we use for off items such and IDs and other
> systems

I've been working with Linux and Unix for nearly twenty years. I have no
idea what you are talking about.

> All in all it looks as If i will ahve to use sendmail to mail the items
> out and fetchmail to bring them in from the pop3 server...

No, you can use almost any MTA to send out, and if you do use fetchmail to
bring in mail then you need to figure out how to pass it to RT. Personally,
I'd install an MTA (e.g. Postfix) locally, which will make it much easier.

If you have problems with RT (or anything else, really) in the future, may
I suggest you post a note along these lines:

- What you are trying to achieve
- What you have done to achieve it
- What happened
- What you expected to happen
- What steps you have take to troubleshoot so far (eg, log file extracts)