[rt-users] Windows support?

Autrijus Tang autrijus at autrijus.org
Wed Sep 15 00:32:03 EDT 2004

On Tue, Sep 14, 2004 at 10:57:41PM -0500, Jason Powell wrote:
> Am I asking for trouble down the road by using the WIn version or should I
> bite the bullet on the learning curve and go with one of the other more
> supported Linux/FreeBSD packages?

As the maintainer for both the Windows and FreeBSD port, I think both
are stable enough for out-of-box needs, but if you are going to seriously
customize RT toward your organization's goals, then FreeBSD is a better
choice.

Because that more RT hackers use some kind of Unix as their native
platform, it is easier to find support, resources, and configuration
options there.  For example, although I sell support for the Windows port
as part of my business (mostly to Chinese-speaking customers), I do all
my RT related development on FreeBSD myself.

Upgrading and tweaking invidivual components (database, http server, cpan
modules) is also much easier with a sane package management system,
instead of relying on hand-managed versions. :-)

Thanks,
/Autrijus/