[rt-users] Anyone? PLS? Problems installing RT on Mandrake 10.

Ruslan U. Zakirov Ruslan.Zakirov at acronis.com
Thu Sep 30 04:20:33 EDT 2004

Christopher Welsh wrote:
> Ruslan U. Zakirov wrote:
>
>> It's problem with permissions vs FastCGI.
>>
>> Full description and different solutions:
>>     http://wiki.bestpractical.com/index.cgi?FastCGIConfiguration
>>
>> Problem summary:
>>     FastCGI process can't load RT libs cause have no rights.
> Ruslan,
>
> Thanks for your reply. It's been difficult getting mail to go out with
> it's body intact since our mail server  was "upgraded" :-(
>

> The link you sent me is what I originally based my install on. So I'm
> wondering if I am confused about rt-user vs apache (apache runs as
> apache) and exec permission?
Quote:
"you have several choices about how to configure RT to run as a FastCGI"
Page describe 3 variants! Choose one that is Ok for you. One that is
easy to gonfigure, but is most insecure, but it's harder to setup most
secure. I recommed you to use easy way and when you got RT up and
running you can move on most secure variant.

Below I say only about first variant.

> I could not seem to add the following under the virtual host section.
> Because when I'd start the web server it said not to add these entries
> to the virtual host section. I have similar settings in the httpd.conf
> as global settings as user "apache" and group "apache"
This ok, you shouldn't change user/group that apache run under.

> Does the web server have to run as "rt" and not "apache"?
No.

> "user rt"
> and
> "group rt"
Ok.

> Also I'm confused about the following
>
> ./configure \
>  --with-web-user="webuser" \
>  --with-web-group="webgroup" \
>  --with-rt-user="webuser" \
Your webuser/webgroup is "apache/apache".

> I did this:
>
> ./configure --with-web-user=apache --with-web-group=apache
> --with-rt-group=apache --with-rt-user=apache
tar -xzvf rt-xxx.tar.gz
cd rt-xxx
./configure \
	--with-web-user=apache \
	--with-web-group=apache \
	--with-rt-group=apache \
	--with-rt-user=apache \
make install

>  --with-rt-group="webgroup" finally
>
> The web server user was added to the rt group.
with this variant your RT uses "apache" user/group and you don't need
"rt" user/group anymore.

> Oh, Should I try moving the web files that were installed in
> /opt/rt..... to /var/www/html. I did move the mason_handler.fcgi to
> /var/www/rt directory.
No. You shouldn't move anything.

> Finnally, since I have called everything apache should I also add apache
> to this line instead of "rt" (rt was on fastcgi help page)?
Which line?