[rt-users] RT vs ........

Bob Goldstein bobg at uic.edu
Mon Apr 4 11:01:20 EDT 2005

I don't know about TrackIT, but maybe you can draw some lessons
from my story.  We started with some other system, _very_
expensive, feature rich, fixes-everything-from-hangnails-to-
mothers-in-law.  Except that:
   - UI was native windows only
   - Web interface was hobbled, and IE only
   - No UI for end users at the time
   - email support was poor
   - UI was overly complicated, and did not easily
      show basic info (like who appended last),
      had too many panels, each with not enough
      info.
   - Data model did not match the way
      I think about queues and tickets.
   - Privilege system does not separate
      different groups well.
   - We didn't need/use all the "features"

("We" still use it, but my group broke away and uses
RT now.  We exchange tickets via email with the other system.)

And as to money, you already installed RT.  Much as I like
BP and think they would do an excellent job, if money
is such a concern, why wouldn't you just install it
yourself again?

Beware of the feature punch-list.

   bobg