[rt-users] RT and Nagios?

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Thu Apr 7 12:39:46 EDT 2005

On Thu, Apr 07, 2005 at 01:46:17PM +0100, Norton, Ian wrote:
> I'm using the host IP address to search RT and the email that goes to
> RT has a complete list of the hosts with IP address for searching.
>
> The code I have is based around our own network management system and
> doesn't rely entirely on nagios to build the host hierarchy, but I'm
> sure it could be done.
>
> If I was re-implementing the whole thing now, I'd probably use custom
> fields to store the IP addresses in the ticket and change the ticket
> injection to be direct via the RT API rather than doing things by
> email. Our eventual intention is to do this via SOAP from a central
> stats and status server that knows about all the nagios instances and
> hosts on each system, but that's probably some way off yet!

I have an inkling that this ought to tie back in through Todd's Asset
Tracker -- being able to see a history for an asset while I'm writing a
ticket is one of the things *I* most need.  I want to see both the
tickets that have been tied to that asset, and the nagios history of
it.  I haven't loaded Todd's package, yet; just looked at his demo; so
I'm not sure how close to that it gets yet.

Cheers,
-- jra

      If you can read this... thank a system administrator.  Or two.  --me