[rt-users] Avaya Integration

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Fri Apr 8 11:11:36 EDT 2005

On Fri, Apr 08, 2005 at 08:02:29AM -0700, Joby Walker wrote:
> Jay R. Ashworth wrote:
> > On Thu, Apr 07, 2005 at 01:29:06PM -0700, Joby Walker wrote:
> >>Has anyone done any Telephony integration with RT?  We're currently
> >>evaluating what would be necessary to have our Avaya system integrate
> >>with a department wide RT implimentation, so any feedback would be very
> >>helpful.
> >
> > Can you expand on what you want to do?
> >
> > I was musing myself, while evaluating packages, on telephony
> > integration; something like a screen pop that shows all open tickets
> > for a client by phone number, plus "new ticket"...

> Good question.
>
> Ideally what we'd like is:
>
> 1) Customer calls in - gets phone tree.
> 2) Phone tree asks for customer type (Student, Staff, Alumni, Affiliate)
> 3) Phone tree asks for ID (StudentID, etc)
> 4) New or previously recorded issue?
> 5) If new what type of issue (Password, Modem, etc)
> 6a) If new issue, screen pop new ticket with info customer entered.
>  b) If old issue, screen pop with search of customers tickets.
>
> The group that needs this currently has a phone tree that gets customer
> type and type of issue and then displays that on the LCD of the
> callcenter phone.  As an interum measure we'd like to be able to just
> add a ticket number.

Well, if you can get that screen-display stuff to copy out a port on
the phone (or be sent via UDP by a daemon on the switch to the
machine), it seems to me the approach I was thinking of would work:

Background (tray) daemon on the workstation that listens for some
parameters, builds a URL, and hands it to Windows launch handler, which
will pop a browser window in the right place.

"List of customer's tickets" might take a little doing, but the rest
seems fairly simply -- if you're equipped to write tray-launch windows
utilities.

I'm actually working on a related project with a programmer buddy right
now; it may also do wall(1) for Windows, as well as network life
checking, workstation status, and a couple other items; he's targeting
about a buck a seat or so for it (he makes a living coding, unlike me).

Cheers,
-- jra

      If you can read this... thank a system administrator.  Or two.  --me