[rt-users] My RT with #500000

Matthew Watson matthew.watson at staff.netspace.net.au
Tue Apr 19 20:40:07 EDT 2005

select count(*) from transactions
  COUNT(*)
----------
   2907917
1 row selected

Optimising.. we pulled a few things out of the UI (such as other tickets
by a user on the display ticket page).
Quite a few new index and I believe our dba had to tweak some oracle
settings to get the correct indexes to be used, not exactly sure what
that was though I'm afraid.

We also threw a reasonably amount of hardware at the problem. Our
testing showed that on the dual AMD Opteron systems we use as a front
end, when you start getting more than 5-10 simultaneous (which is quite
a lot in this type of environment) performance started to drop of
rapidly. The mason front end (and the perl API) seem quite heavy. So
currently we have 2 dual AMD Opterons running the web/email gateways and
our Sun/Oracle server as the data store (this also does other things).
Seems to be running quite smoothly, haven't had any complaints about
"lockups" since moving to RT3, something which happened quite often when
we ran mysql4/rt2, this I think is largely due to oracles better ability
to handle large/crazy queries.

Regards,
Matt.

purp at acm.org

use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. Please notify the sender
immediately by email if you have received this email by mistake and delete this email
from your system. Please note that any views or opinions presented in this email are solely
 those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the organisation.
Finally, the recipient should check this email and any attachments for the presence of
viruses. The organisation accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus
transmitted by this email.