[rt-users] RT using Windows platform

Harald Wagener hwagener at hamburg.fcb.com
Wed Apr 27 13:26:28 EDT 2005

Am 27.04.2005 um 18:48 schrieb Heike Schuermann:

> Hi,
>
> sorry for a lot of my problems, but it seems I'm a total newbie to
> perl, apache, ... but maybe someone has any helpful idea...
>
> I happily installed RT on a Windows platform, and this was quite
> easy, just a click on the .exe, and all the downloads happened
> automatically.
>
> RT itself is running, and also emails are coming in (using
> fetchmail); I only configuered the 'rt-mailgate.conf' like described.
>
> Now the problems are starting, I need some howto's:
> How can I set up that only mails from our domain are accepted for RT
> (or e.g. sort out SPAM)?

You should do this on the mail server, i.e. before fetchmail gets
mail from the server. It's usually much easier there.

> I found
>
> c:\program files\OurInternet\RequestTracker\rt\bin\rt-mailgate.in
>
> which is called by fetchmail, but I don't understand a word. Is this
> thing doing anything at all? Is it only a description? I never saw
> something like
>
> =head1 NAME

this is embedded documentation, called perldoc.

> in perl.
>
> Next:
> Where can I change the name of the RT system? I tried
>
> c:\program files\OurInternet\RequestTracker\rt\etc\RT_Config.pm.in

This is where the default configuration lives. You don't normally
change things here.

> but nothing happened. Do I have to activate it somewhere? Or what
> about

> c:\program files\OurInternet\RequestTracker\rt\etc\RT_SiteConfig.pm

This is where You configure site specific things, like Your rtname. I
don't use the windows port, so I can't say how to activate changes
here. On Linux, You need to stop and start apache to be absolutely
sure the changes get picked up.

> Next - and last - question: kerberos:
> How / where do I have to configure, that you can login at RT with
> kerberos authentication?

Probably set up RT to accept apache's authentication and set it up
with the right authentication module. Someone else will need to help
You with the details, though-

> Sorry for all those (maybe simple) questions. But I don't have a clue
> about Linux, and because of the very comfortable setup on Windows I
> would like to use it on this platform.
>
> Maybe it's possible to start up a 'HowTo' in Wiki for Windows?

You're welcome to start it. You seem to have come quite far already!

Regards,
     Harald