[rt-users] sendmail aliases

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Wed Aug 3 08:40:04 EDT 2005

On Wed, 2005-08-03 at 07:14, Bruce Rudd wrote:
> I don't have an aliases file in /etc/mail just in /etc.  What I am
> trying to figure out is why I can change /etc/aliases I don't see those
> changes reflected in the maillog.  I found my changes at some point
> because I added the lines that I see in there but when I edit them
> nothing changes.
>
> Is sendmail saving another copy of this somewhere?

Sendmail is infinitely configurable so no one can answer this
without knowing more about your system.  If you can find
the sendmail.mc file you should see:
  define(`ALIAS_FILE', `/etc/aliases')dnl
or in sendmail.cf:
  O AliasFile=/etc/aliases
You may or may not have to run 'newaliases' before changes
are updated in the dbm database used by the running sendmail.
You should not have to restart sendmail.  Check that
/etc/aliases.db is the same age or newer than /etc/aliases.

Also, note that already-queued messages that have been
tempfailed will not check aliases again during the
next delivery attempt.

--
  Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com