[rt-users] Public read-only acccess to tickets

James Chamberlain jamesc at exa.com
Wed Aug 3 11:32:09 EDT 2005

On Tue, 2 Aug 2005, Thomas Sibley wrote:
> Bruce Badger wrote:
>> Is there any way to grant public read-only access to an RT web site
>> such that anyone can see what open tickets there are and who is
>> working on them?
>
> There's no "official" way/option/etc at the moment, though something may
> be in the works for the rt.cpan.org migration we're doing.  For now I
> suggest you create a user "guest" with password "guest" and publicize
> that on the login page.  Make sure the guest user only has rights to see
> things, not modify stuff (including itself, so guests can't change the
> password and lock other guests out).

I was going to approach this problem at a lower level.  If I've got this
right, the default ACLs that RT sets up (at least for MySQL and PostgreSQL)
specify that RT should be allowed to select, insert, update, and delete.  If
instead the ACLs were modified so that RT could only select, I think that
would accomplish the goal.  I haven't set this up yet, so I don't yet know
yet how RT will handle this.  Perhaps that's a question for the list.  This
technique will require two RT installations sharing one db - one internal,
which has full permissions and will run rt-mailgate; and the other external,
which will only be allowed to view.

James