[rt-users] Can RT3.4.3 or RT3.4.2 run on apache 2+mod_perl?

Christopher Allison chris at cs.brandeis.edu
Fri Aug 19 20:57:17 EDT 2005

On Aug 19, 2005, at 6:27 PM, Kelly F. Hickel wrote:

> I was able to do this last year on Fedora Core @2.  However, when I
> just tried it on a fully updated Fedora Core 4 machine with the latest
> RT, no joy.  I had problems with webmux.pl finding Apache2.pm and
> another file because they were in a Bundle subdirectory, I fixed that
> with a use lib line in webmux, then ran into a problem where perl said
> that the load subroutine was being redefined by  XSLoader.  I gave up
> and switched to FastCGI.
> -Kelly
>
> On Aug 19, 2005, at 1:57 PM, Ahalya_Nathan at mudnebr.com wrote:
>
>> We are planning to configure RT on apache 2 with mod_perl.  We
>> require apache 2 to be installed and since there lot of posts which
>> showed configuration problems with apache 2, i was wondering if
>>  anyone has been successful in running any version of RT on apache 2

We're currently running RT 3.4.2 on RHEL 4's Apache (2.0.52). While,
like Kelly, we're using FastCGI rather than mod_perl, we've had
absolutely no trouble with apache 2.

>> and mod_perl ?

Once upon a time mod_perl2 was simply not an option with RT. See:

	http://lists.bestpractical.com/pipermail/rt-users/2005-April/
030477.html

While I can't speak from personal experience, recent postings to this
list have indicated that RT's previous inability to easily play nicely
with mod_perl may come to an end soon.

To quote Jesse ("[rt-users] 3.4.4 soon?"):

On Aug 18, 2005, at 1:57 AM, Jesse Vincent wrote:

> I expect that we'll roll RT 3.4.4 sometime
> in the next week.  Now that Mason 1.30 is out, there's even a _slight_
> chance that it could include a first cut of actual, honest-to-goodness,
> mod_perl2 support. But that's purely speculation on my part.
>
> Jesse

While you say that you have a requirement that you use (or at least
install?) apache 2, you state no similar requirement that you use
mod_perl. Could you use Apache 2 with FastCGI? It worked for us "out of
the box," though of course, YMMV. If you have need to use mod_perl,
perhaps either RT 3.4.4 or something from the 3.5.x development family
will provide what you need. Alternatively, you might be able to try
using Apache2 with mod_perl1, but I believe that that has lead to many
headaches for others in the past. There are also instructions on
building your own apache + mod_perl are located on the BestPractical
wiki at:

	http://wiki.bestpractical.com/index.cgi?ManualApache

Best of luck,

-Chris Allison