[rt-users] Throttling incoming e-mail

Kevin White kwhite at telsource.com
Sun Aug 21 21:14:25 EDT 2005

> If you change
> O DeliveryMode=background
> O DeliveryMode=queued
> in sendmail.cf, sendmail will queue all messages when received instead
> of starting a background delivery process for each.  However, then you
> move the problem to the queue runs - if you start them often enough to
> get timely delivery you may have several overlapping runs if they
> can't process the whole queue before the next one starts.  You might
> set sendmail's timer based runs to go less frequently and have a
> script that starts a run with only a short delay after the last one
> finishes.

Thanks!  We can try that.

The thing is, it should only be in pathological cases that I get this
many messages all at once: last time, I wrote a script that tried to
create about 70 tickets all at once.  I know better now, and in that
case, I'd put in a delay.  This time, it was a misconfigured process
that started sending 8*600 messages, once every 15 minutes, for 8 hours.
 :)  Pathological...but I'd like the box to live through it.

> You can also have sendmail queue only when the load reaches a certain
> level - and it can take the value in the Precedence: header into account
> when deciding when to queue.

Cool: I'll have to look into that.  That kind of sounds like what I
really want.

Thanks for the response.

Kevin

This communication may contain privileged and/or confidential information. It
is intended solely for the use of the addressee. If you are not the intended
recipient, you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing
or using any of this information. If you received this communication in error,
please contact the sender immediately and destroy the material in its entirety,
whether electronic or hard copy.  You may not directly or indirectly reuse or
redisclose such information for any purpose other than to provide the services
for which you are receiving the information.

Telsource Corporation
8237 Dow Cir, Strongsville, OH 44136