[rt-users] MIME issues with Subject in RT-RT interaction

Matti Saarinen mjsaarin at cc.helsinki.fi
Tue Aug 30 09:03:53 EDT 2005

 [ I just subscribed to the list, so I do not have previous messages
   and threfore I cannot build the correct References-header. Sorry
   for the incovenience this may cause. ]

Atro Tossavainen wrote:

> subject line [ containing non-ASCII characters] gets MIME-converted,
> and by the time it gets back to our RT, an extra space has been
> added to a seemingly random point in the subject line

 At the moment, I manage the RT 3.0.9 that sends messages having
 sometimes encoded headers to Atro's RT 2.0.6.

 I tried analysing this problem. I found that RFC 2047 says

 "An 'encoded-word' may not be more than 75 characters long".

 This has been taken care of in RT's SendEmail.pm where the subject
 line is split to parts having appropriate size. Then each part is
 encoded and the encoded parts are catenated together using whitespace
 as a delimeter. This is how the RFC tells it should be done.

 Now, I think it is the decoding in 2.0.6 that's not working properly.
 Atro sees extra whitespace charachters in Subject header. Those
 whitespaces are excatly at the same place where SendEmail has split
 the Subject header. About decoding, RFC 2047 says

 "When displaying a particular header field that contains multiple
 'encoded-word's, any 'linear-white-space' that separates a pair of
 adjacent 'encoded-word's is ignored."

 I think some component in RT 2.0.6 or some perl module Atro's
 installation uses does not do the decoding of encoded header lines
 correctly.

 Cheers,

--
- Matti -