[rt-users] mysql database copy fails with packet bigger than allowed

Sparhawk, Mark sparhawk at cobaltgroup.com
Tue Aug 30 12:33:59 EDT 2005

I just ran into this problem yesterday. It is my understanding that this
problem occurs when mysqldump has a max_allowed_packet that is larger than
the mysqld's max_allowed packet here's a couple snippets from my my.cnf.

[mysqld]
port            = 3306
socket          = /var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock
log             = /var/log/mysql/mysql.log
skip-locking
key_buffer = 256M
max_allowed_packet = 16M
[mysqldump]
quick
max_allowed_packet = 16M

I set the max_allowed_packet under the mysqld section to be equal to the
mysqldump section and everything worked like a champ. Good Luck.