[rt-users] i can connect to mysql but "www" cant.

Josh Kuperman josh.kuperman at gmail.com
Tue Dec 13 13:15:10 EST 2005

Ok more Mac OS X strange stuff. I have telnet disabled in favor of
ssh, but that seems to
prevent me from being able to contact my mysqld. I also found out
that by default Mac OS X
server start the daemon with the skip networking option. But what I
find truly mystifying is why I can connect to the mysql server, us my
rt user and password, but that the web user, on the Mac OS X server
it is "www" on some other apache implementation it is nobody.

I believe for rt to work, the user running the web server "www" needs
to be able to access the mysqld.  I don't understand why I can access
mysqld on localhost but not "www".

secretariat:~ josh$ sudo -u www mysql -u rt_user -p -h localhost
Enter password:
ERROR 2002 (HY000): Can't connect to local MySQL server through
socket '/var/mysql/mysql.sock' (13)
secretariat:~josh$ mysql -u rt_user -p -h localhost
Enter password:
Your MySQL connection id is 1 to server version: 4.1.13a