[rt-users] question on reporting

Hersker, Steve SHersker at TNGUS.com
Thu Dec 15 13:40:41 EST 2005

I am in a similar situation in that I need to generate reports out of RT
(for SOX compliance). We're using a commercial helpdesk ticketing app now,
but it's missing some key features that RT has (and RT is *much* easier to
use and infinitely more flexible). Before I could begin to convert to RT, I
had to make sure I could get the reports out of it that I needed.

My SQL skills are minimal, so I opted to quickly "prototype" the reports
using MS Access and the mySQL ODBC connector. Stephen is right in that the
db schema takes some getting used to. (But definitely doable) I found the
easiest method in Access was to create several (read: many) layered queries
to assemble the ticket. Then, I just base the reports off queries with the
appropriate criteria (e.g. All new/open/stalled tickets; All tickets closed
in the last 7 days; All tickets for an Organization & date range, etc).

Stephen also brings up a good point about the export list feature in to
Excel. But, in my situation, I need the ticket history included in the
report, not just the header info/stats.

(Now I'm using the API to import my users and, hopefully, the ticket history
from the existing app - about 21,000 tickets).

If you think you're going to use Access, let me know. I'd be happy to share
what I've learned, tripped over and worked-around.

Good Luck
Steve