[rt-users] Upgrade strategy?

Bob Goldstein bobg at uic.edu
Wed Feb 2 10:12:09 EST 2005

Any advice for 3.2.0->2.4.0 strategy?

In the past, I've installed the new code in a new directory and
created two urls, so I could run either the new code or old at
the drop of a click, both using the same database.

I liked the ability to use the production database, because it's
much more likely the new code (and my mods to it) will be tested.

However, bold is not the same as foolhardy. I notice there are
schema changes that involve deletion of columns, as well as
addition. Even if I only do the additions (to start), I'm
guessing that running the old code (which won't populate the new
columns) and new code (which might become unhappy at seeing new
tickets with null values in these new columns) might not be
overly wise.

Plan B is copy the prodution database, upgrade code-and-db,
and test on the testbed.  Safe, but it won't be tested
as thoroughly by the staff.  Any suggestions (just technial
ones, please.  Don't tell me to beat the staff with a stick :-)

   bobg