[rt-users] About halfway getting RT on Mac OS X server

josh josh at saratoga.lib.ny.us
Tue Feb 8 11:07:16 EST 2005

I apologize as most of this is about Mac OS X and very little about RT
installs. I think I resolved the perl issues, and I think I can
resolve the mail issues. I'm not sure about my mod_perl/apache
issues. Basically, I need to know if I can simply compile an alternate
mod_perl and use it with the supplied version of Apache (1.3.33) that is
current on the Xserve software or if I need to run two httpd processes
(which may be too much for me).

I think I'm about Halfway as far as working out the procedure for
getting Mac OS X server and RT to cooperate. (This on a test server --
will see what happens when I go into production.)

My first realization came from a suggestion that I use the Darwinports
package to get some of the software needed. I had to create a separate
user, so that I could isolate the separate perl installations. I use
Fink and Fink is tied to the system perl, though it does install a
library of Perl modules, it always uses the same version of perl. I
created the separate user so that I could do the installation of the
second perl as that user and use cpan as that user by having the
darwinports path (/opt/local/bin) first in that users path.

The version of MySQL that comes with Xserver seems current enough.

While postfix isn't sendmail, and I will probably need some help, it
doesn't look as though it will create problems.

So can I use the built in Apache Server or not? Is it possible to
simply replace the module used by the RT web site?.

--
Josh Kuperman
josh at saratoga.lib.ny.us

PS I'm still hoping that Apple releases tiger soon and dramatically upgrades
their perl when they do.