[rt-users] Unchecking "Let this user be granted rights" causes httpd CPU spin

Kevin Murphy murphy at genome.chop.edu
Fri Feb 18 12:13:30 EST 2005

Perl v5.8.3 under darwin
   Apache v1.27;
   RT v3.2.3rc1;
   DBIx::SearchBuilder v1.16;
   DBD::Pg v1.31;
PosgreSQL 7.4.6

As an experiment, I unchecked "let this user be granted rights" on the
user configuration page for a user who has open tickets and is a
watcher on queues.  The request hung (never returned), and one of the
httpd processes proceeded to consume large amounts of CPU and increase
its memory use steadily, seemingly without bound.  I've tried this
several times with two different users to confirm.

It's not really harming me, but I thought I should report it in case it
hasn't been before.  Yesterday the problem drove my test server into
thrashing.

As a side note, what I was trying to do was "decommission" a privileged
user.  It would be neat if there were a way of rolling all current
responsibilities (new and open tickets, queue watching, CC status) from
one user to another.

Kevin Murphy