[rt-users] ANNOUCE: Asset Tracker 0.9.1

Roedel, Mark MarkRoedel at letu.edu
Mon Feb 28 10:31:57 EST 2005

-----Original Message-----
From: rt-users-bounces at lists.bestpractical.com
[mailto:rt-users-bounces at lists.bestpractical.com] On Behalf Of Jan-Frode
Myklebust
Sent: Saturday, February 26, 2005 8:50 AM
To: Todd Chapman
Cc: rt-users at bestpractical.com
Subject: Re: [rt-users] ANNOUCE: Asset Tracker 0.9.1

On Wed, Feb 16, 2005 at 01:46:57PM -0500, Todd Chapman wrote:

>> Please see the README file for more information.
>
> I did. It didn't say anything about what the Asset Tracker can do.

It can track information about your assets.  (What information?  Pretty
much anything you want...you define asset types, and then create custom
fields that are associated with some subset of those asset types.)
Through "parent" references, it can associate assets with one another.
(For example, we have "monitor" and "printer" asset types that can be
defined as components of someone's desktop PC.)  It can also associate a
particular asset with an RT ticket (using the ticket's "refers to"
link), allowing you to track the maintenance history of a particular
piece of equipment.

I believe Todd intends for Asset Tracker to eventually have all the
capabilities (scrips, bulk updates, etc.) of RT.

> Are there any information about this asset tracker available anywhere
> else than in the source? I'm really curious to know what it's supposed
> to do, if it will solve my problems.. but I'm not sure I'll blindly
> install it just because the name seems to suggest it can be useful :)
>
> Curious minds wants feature lists, screenshots, and possibly a
> demo-tracker :-)

If you've got particular questions, probably your best bet is to join
the at-users mailing list and ask them.  If there are particular actions
or items you'd like to see a screenshot of, I can probably help out with
that.

--
Mark Roedel
Web Programmer / Analyst