[rt-users] Running RT on Debian (Sarge)

Kevin Murphy murphy at genome.chop.edu
Mon Jan 3 17:19:29 EST 2005

On Jan 3, 2005, at 4:41 PM, Quark IT - Hilton Travis wrote:
>> Yes, and I'm sure not the only one. there're debian
>> packages available running right away from "apt-get
>> install request-tracker3" but I use apache 1.3 not
>> apache2; might be at least a point to start.. I
>> remember there were some problems with apache2.
>
> Joel Johnson pointed out to me earlier that there's a
> "request-tracker3.2" package for Sarge that would be more appropriate.
> At least until 3.4 gets released, that is.  :)

request-tracker3.2 is only in unstable/sid, not testing/sarge, though.

I have successfully installed the request-tracker3 package (RT 3.0.12)
on debian sarge using the regular (1.3) apache package.  The install
was smoother than installing RT from source, which I have done a few
times on Mac OS X.  That being said, it seems that the debian install
could be automated a bit more (but maybe there are good reasons why it
hasn't been?)

I'd be psyched to use request-tracker3.2, but I'd rather wait until it
is in sarge.

The official package dependencies at debian.org indicate that
request-tracker3 can use either apache or apache2, but
request-tracker3.2 doesn't show the optional apache2 dependency for
some reason.

Kevin Murphy

P.S.  Thanks to the RT Debian package, I just received an e-mail from
my home RT instance indicating that my wife says it's time for an oil
change.  Oh, yes, and the back door bell needs installing. ;-)