[rt-users] RT sends multiple copies of same messages to people

Sheeri Kritzer sheeri.kritzer at tufts.edu
Fri Jan 7 11:01:02 EST 2005

Hello,

RT sometimes sends multiple copies of the message to the same people.  We're
using RT 3.2.2 on Solaris 9 with Apache 1.3.31, Perl 5.8.3, modperl1 and MySQL
4.0.21.

Global scrips that affect this problem:

On Correspond Notify AdminCcs with template Admin Correspondence
On Correspond Notify Requestors and Ccs with template Correspondence
On Correspond Notify Other Recipients with template Correspondence
OnCorrespond Notify Owner

Many of our queues have watchers, and often the watchers are owners of the
tickets (though not necessarily) in the queue.  However, if someone has 2 roles,
they get e-mailed twice -- for instance, if someone is a watcher on a queue as
well as an owner of the ticket, they get e-mailed twice.  This gets compounded
when users think, "oh, let me cc this person on this message because I want them
to know about it".  We then end up with people getting 2-3 emails every time a
ticket is generated.

Scrolling down to the place where I can save changes to disable people from
getting e-mail, I find that if I uncheck *one* of the places where the user gets
mail, RT tries to be clever and says, "OK, I won't send this person mail at all"
and takes out any and all entries -- if I uncheck the person in "notify owner"
and hit "save changes", then the person is taken out of "notify adminccs" too.

Is there any help for this?

-Sheeri Kritzer
Systems Administrator
University Systems Group