[rt-users] Which Hardware is necessary to server RT?

Dan Pritts danno at internet2.edu
Fri Jul 1 12:10:52 EDT 2005

> >I would like to know which is the necessary configuration of a server
> >at hardware level to RT in a small company, 30 users.

> We serve a branch campus of a university.  7 IT staff, approximately 250
> users.  We are running on a 1 gig PIII, 512 MB, no problems with RT
> 3.2.2.  So far, only about 3000 tickets, though.  I can easily see our
> needs growing if we get to the point that some others I have seen on
> past discussions have.

I have a similarly sized installation.

Performance was pathetic on the original machine, a dual-CPU p3-600
with 1G of ram and softare-mirrored scsi disks.  It took on average 5-10
seconds for a ticket to fully display in my browser.

after moving to a 2.4GHz xeon with 512M ram performance is much
better, but it's still not what I would call snappy.

I don't recall whether this is still an issue with mysql 4 but with
mysql 3 (no longer supported by RT, you need mysql 4 if you do mysql)
you needed to change the default mysql configuration to get it to use
more than some pathetically small amount of RAM.  Look at the example
mysql config files that come with the mysql source and/or your binary
distribution (on red hat, look in /usr/share/doc/mysql-something).

that said, telling mysql to use the extra memory helped some on my
p3-600 but it was still heinously slow.

danno
--
dan pritts - systems administrator - internet2
734/352-4953 office        734/834-7224 mobile