[rt-users] Problems with sendmail From: header

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Thu Jul 14 05:16:49 EDT 2005

On Wednesday 13 July 2005 17:28, Matias K. wrote:
> Hello!
> Im using rt3 on Debian Sarge with sendmail. I'm having a bit troubles
> with sendmail. RT gets incoming emails with fetchmail just fine, but
> when it autoreplys to ticket-senders the email seems to be coming from
> www-data at localhost.localdomain.

This is the default untrusted user Debian uses for Apache and packages that
run under Apache.

> This has something to do with sendmails trusted-users?

I think so.  However I'm running exim here and can't help you directly with
sendmail.

Perhaps your sendmail logs or /var/log/deamon.log on Debian will give you a
clue as to what's happening.  I would assume that sendmail is rewriting that
From: header because some rule is set requiring it to use the real
username/hostname of the process sending mail though it.   And since RT runs
under the www-data user, that makes some sort of odd sense to my late-night
brain...

From /usr/share/doc/rt3-clients/README.Debian :

-----
If you are using Sendmail you will need to add rt-mailgate into the
/etc/mail/smrsh/ directory. Do something like:

ln -s /usr/bin/rt-mailgate /etc/mail/smrsh/rt-mailgate

The smrsh directory contains all the binaries that Sendmail is
permitted to run via the '|program' syntax in order to improve the
over all security of your system. See smrsh(8) for more details.
-----

Although I assume if you're opening tickets okay via e-mail this isn't the
problem.

Nate Duehr, nate at natetech.com