[rt-users] Moving RT from sparc to x86 OS on VMWare?

Dan Pritts danno at internet2.edu
Thu Jul 14 11:39:54 EDT 2005

On Wed, Jul 13, 2005 at 09:56:20AM -0600, Randy Millis (lists account) wrote:
> Which OS would I be better off using in terms of ease of setup and
> performance / cost / support:
>
> - Fedora Core 3
> - Red Hat Enterprise Linux ES release 4 (update 1)
> - Solaris 10 x86

Fedora core is not the answer for any server unless you like the idea of
doing a distribution upgrade to some new fedora core in less than a year.

RHEL (or Centos) is a better choice.

Debian is not a horrible choice either if you have experience with it.
RT has lots of dependencies that can take forever to build by hand.
debian's packaging system makes it easy.  i say this not being a big
debian fan in general.

as far as solaris vs. linux, depends mostly on your own environment.
but you'll probably have to go build more stuff "by hand" with solaris
vs. redhat.   (tough call - check sunfreeware.com, and the "DAG" rpm
repository for redhat if you want binary distributions)

danno
--
dan pritts - systems administrator - internet2
734/352-4953 office        734/834-7224 mobile