[rt-users] External Authentication: HowTo - Help needed.

Manfred Koroschetz mkoroschetz at tekvoice.com
Fri Jul 22 00:32:56 EDT 2005

I would like to use external Authentication for RT in order to be able to use it within a "Intranet" environment. Authentication is done through PHP authentication against a Postgres DB. RT runs un the same server using Postgres as well. I am using RT 3.4.2

So far I understand the following:

1. in RT_SiteConfig.pm set: Set($WebExternalAuth , 1);
2. During the PHP login on the intranet I set "Remote_User" environment variable to the name of the user logging in. This user actually exists in RT and has rights.
3. I call the RT url, and I should automatically be logged in and presented with the usual RT Homepage.

The problem is that it does not work. All I get is the login page, without the actual fields where to put the login name and password.

Looking at the code in .../share/html/Elements/login this behavior is explainable, but I don't know why I don't get properly logged in.
Checking the code in ../share/html/autohandler, which may (should?) have some code like "$user = $ENV{'REMOTE_USER'}; " I can't find it nor can I figure out how it is supposed to read the  environment variable at all.

I do appreciate any help from anyone, on how to get this going.

Thanks in Advance,

Manfred Koroschetz